In classrooms all over the United States, the Focused Instructional Model has been implemented with high fidelity. Data is collected regularly and analyzed to support students’ growth in mathematics. Educators are now on the quest to engage all of their students in an intentional intervention to support what the data is showing them. The development team of FIM has been responsive and has created Math Strengths and Stretches as the intervention model that will support this opportunity.
Order your grade level set of Math Strengths and Stretches and receive a series of practice manuals that will guide your students through the required Math standards. Classroom sets include:
- • Kindergarten Set: Counting & Cardinality, Numbers & Operations: Base Ten, Operations & Algebraic Thinking, Geometry
- • 1st Grade Set: Measurements & Data, Numbers & Operations: Base Ten, Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- • 2nd Grade Set: Measurements & Data, Numbers & Operations: Base Ten, Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- • 3rd Grade Set: Measurements & Data, Numbers & Operations: Fractions, Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- • 4th Grade Set: Numbers & Operations: Base Ten, Numbers & Operations: Fractions, Operations & Algebraic Thinking
- • 5th Grade Set: Numbers & Operations: Base Ten, Numbers & Operations: Fractions, Measurements & Data
- • *6th Grade Set: Expressions & Equations, Number System, Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- • *7th Grade Set: Expressions & Equations, Number System, Ratios & Proportional Relationships
- • 8th Grade Set: Expressions & Equations, Geometry, Functions
- *(Please call us if you’re interested in ordering 6th or 7th grade)
What is Math Strengths and Stretches?
Math Strengths and Stretches is a Tier II intervention system that provides teachers with a way to be responsive to the FIM data in an intentional manner. The Progress Monitoring Test data that is collected every two weeks provides the teacher with opportunities to support all students in their learning. Math Strengths & Stretches uses a suggested 15 minutes of the day to intentionally intervene by using data to support and/or maintain the most necessary skills in math. After analyzing student data, the teacher will decide their intention and use the Math Strengths & Stretches resource to facilitate the students’ thinking around a chosen standard. All students will progress through the build, draw and solve continuum of learning to ensure they have a strategy on which to anchor their thinking:
Build – students will use manipulatives to help solve problems
Draw – students will draw pictures to help solve problems
Solve – students will use standard algorithms to help solve problems
Student progress will be monitored for both effort and for content mastery throughout the intervention. All students will have the opportunity to work in a small group with teacher support or will be working on the most important identified math skills in pre-arranged stations. The incoming data will provide teachers with an independent skill level for each student so all students are practicing skills tailored to their needs. At the onset of the next Progress Monitoring Test in FIM, the groups will change based on the new data that the test reflects.
The Focused Instructional Model is a responsive tool to support all children on their mathematical journey. Math Strengths & Stretches helps teachers use incoming data effectively to help meet individualized needs of students.