In-school Youth Specialist
Are you interested in working with a dynamic team of people who are focused on helping young people find success? If you are collaborative and committed to student success, keep reading and apply today!
Job description – Onboard 50 active students into the WIOA system for in-school youth. 30 of
which will be in a JMG association working through project based learning in the community.
Success coaches help in-school youth successfully to graduation and into a
successful outcome in the two years after graduation. All of this is documented in online data
systems. This program will use Job’s for Michigan’s Graduates curriculum and structure.
In-school youth specialists will provide case management services and assistance to Youth and
Work program customers in assigned areas. Arrange meaningful education work experience
with a work experience coordinator and provide career counseling and connect participants to
other supportive services. Coordinates work experience and education experience based on 14
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the WIOA program in conjunction
with other Career Specialist(s), work placement coordinator, and Program Manager
- Coordinates the recruitment and enrollment of program participants in and out of schools
- Assess participant’s job readiness and determine needs, provide career counseling, and
assist participant with meeting long and short term employment and educational goals
- Provide individual and group-based career readiness training/workshops
- Develops and executes professional curricula related to job skills and post-secondary
- Use labor market information and industry trends to help participants assess
employment and educational opportunities
- Develops relationships with potential employers and coordinates the placement of well
prepared youth into those opportunities
- Coordinate supportive services and provide follow-up services to program participants
- Participates in training as requested by agency administration
- Performs routine/daily administrative functions (statistics, client record keeping,
research, etc.) and special administrative assignments
- Other duties as assigned by manager
- Bachelor’s degree in a human service including (social work or education) field from an accredited college/university or a minimum of three years of relevant social service or education experience. Master’s degree in Social Work, Education or related human service field preferred
- Experience with the Workforce Investment Act (WIA) contract helpful
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office & Google Suite products (outlook, word, excel,
- Experience in providing job skills training or post-secondary supports to high school
students and/or young adults and a proven track record of cultivating relationships with
employers to provide quality jobs for program participants preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an
employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Mobility to perform filing
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee
encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work in a classroom setting inside of a school environment
- Able to spend extended time on a computer in a workstation
- Able to travel throughout Midland County to program and stakeholder
locations for meetings daily