Teaching with CLASS
August 31 @ 5:00 pm - September 21 @ 8:00 pm$2700
Teaching with CLASS is a year-long professional learning experience aimed at helping new teachers (1st and 2nd year) build a successful classroom culture and support student learning. New teachers will work with award winning region 4 Michigan 2020 teacher of the year, Barb Huston to examine the common pitfalls of classroom management, work through systems and solutions that keep students on task and set expectations for a culture of learning in their classroom. Training and support that lasts over the school year will provide new teachers with practical knowledge necessary to create successful classrooms and engaged students.
We are offering 2 workshop sessions. In this session, participants will engage in a Make and Take Kick Off workshop (Aug 31, Sept 7, 14, 21, 2022), receive monthly individual and group virtual support from an experienced teacher mentor, and have 3 classroom visits from the assigned mentor.
In order to allow for more efficient and focused planning for teachers and time on-task for students, participants will
• Establish systems to address common classroom management problems,
• Build routines that create a culture that fosters relationships and respect,
• Create an organized and functional classroom where students are independent and responsible learners,
• Visualize and articulate an efficient and successful learning environment.
Teachers will discuss, plan, and prepare for common hot spots in their classroom such as
• Lunch count/attendance
• Bathroom procedure
• Homework/competed work turn-in
• Lining up
Teachers will discuss, plan, and prepare for things that foster independence such as
• Visual schedule
• Arrival and Dismissal procedures
• Completed Assignment – now what?
• Homework/completed work turn-in
• Desks/Mailboxes/Take-home folders and planners
Teachers will discuss, plan and decide on effects that create kind cultures such as
• Family Square/Morning Meeting
• Classroom set-up/Room arrangement
• Get-to-know you activities/Ice Breakers
• Classroom Rules
• Classroom Pledge/Creed/Constitution
*SCECHs and CEU's offered at an additional cost upon approval.
IEE FIM Coach & Michigan Region 4 2020 Teacher of the Year
IEE FIM Coach & Professional Learning and Innovation Coordinator